Social media is all about connections.
It allows us to easily consume, share, and discuss information within our network, all from the convenience of a computer or a mobile app.
And while there are many social media sites to choose from, each has unique features to help connect with people, professionals, brands, and more.
Is it time to take the next step on your social media presence?
Create a social media plan to boost your online presence, connect with industry leaders, and build your professional network.
But, before you dive in, develop goals to help guide your social media tactics.
Don’t be overwhelmed by all the options, just set one goal and pursue it. Here are a few social media goals to consider:
- Learn about trends in the industry
- Connect with prospective customers
- Use social to promote your business
- Expand your network
- Automate social posting
- Learn about a particular social network
Now that you have a goal or two in mind, explore different social media options.
Since 2004, Facebook has increased in popularity. In fact, on average there are 1.23 billion daily active users. And if everyone else has Facebook, you probably should, too.
Facebook provides users with the ability to create a profile and a company page, connect with friends, family, and coworkers, and interact with their favorite brands.
If you haven’t already, use these tips as part of your Facebook social media plan:
- Post industry and thought leadership content that fits your company/role/interests.
- Connect with a handful of business connections. You don’t have to connect with your entire network on Facebook, get started with a few people you like.
- Like your company Facebook account and the Facebook accounts of the customers you serve. You can learn a lot by following your customers on Facebook.
- Update your status at least once a day.
Twitter is the best platform for up-to-date news and communicating with thought leaders and brand ambassadors. You can share short updates (280 characters max, as of 2019), videos, images, polls, and more.
If you are not using Twitter it’s easy to get started:
- Set up, or update your profile, including a current picture. Check out these best practices.
- Follow your personal contacts, company, and customers.
- Follow thought leaders in your industry, e.g. bloggers, industry analysts etc.
- Check your news feed daily to retweet content you find interesting, or helpful, and share your own content, ideas.
- Use hashtags to find trending topics and industry trends.
LinkedIn is more business than personal. It’s a great place to make professional connections, share business content, and show off expertise in your field.
Here are several steps you can include in your social media plan:
- Update your profile with relevant information like your skills and business interests. Include a current picture. In addition to LinkedIn’s profile suggestions, check out these recommended profile update steps.
- Review and update your connections. It’s best if your LinkedIn connections reflect your actual network people you know or have at least met.
- Consider adding projects, documents/videos that explain what your company does, case studies, white papers, etc.
- Share content and interact with others either directly on your timeline or use LinkedIn Groups as a way to meet like-minded people.
Instagram is a photo and video sharing social media site that can help you increase exposure of your products and services to existing and potential customers.
Next steps on Instagram could be:
- Try different Instagram filters to enhance images and videos.
- Automate your social posting across other platforms. Connect it to your Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- Follow your competitors and other industry leading brands for inspiration.
- Research hashtags. Analyze and test them to help you build brand awareness and accomplish your goals.
Need Help with Your Social Media Plan?
Don’t be discouraged by your current social media skills. If you start making small changes to your social media plan, you’ll make progress quickly, and Strategy is here to help!
We provide a range of social media tactics including monthly content plan development, writing social posts, social training for your staff, and more.
Contact us for more information.